Over the past century, many of the jobs people used to have changed or disappeared. We do not spend most of our office hours sitting down while robots and machines took over. We have less physical work and spend more time performing mental work. This takes a heavy toll on our overall health. Combined with a sedentary lifestyle and a not so great nutrition, more and more people experience muscle mass loss and back pain. Fortunately, back pain can be managed through multiple ways starting with physical activity through exercises and even massage chairs.
Today we will have a look at massage chairs. Massage chairs are a simple way of dealing with back pain without investing much time or effort. They can be expensive but the investment is well worth it. There are several different types of massage chairs but even the more affordable ones are still decent. For our list, we were able to select the most popular massage chairs and even if they are not advertised as being specifically made for back pain, they can still help a lot. What is important is to find a suitable model as some are small and others are very large.
Best Massage Chairs For Back Pain in 2017
With these things said, let’s go ahead and have a quick look at our list of the top 10 best massage chairs for back pain in 2017.
Table of Contents
- 10. Osaki OS-4000 Zero Gravity Executive Fully Body Massage Chair
- 9. Merax Massage Chair Recliner Chair with Air Massage System
- 8. Kahuna Massage Chair
- 7. iJoy Active 2.0″ Perfect Fit Massage Chair
- 6. Kahuna Full-Body Zero Gravity Space Saving L-Track Kahuna Massage Chair
- 5. Human Touch WholeBody 7.1 Massage Chair
- 4. BestMassage Full Body Zero Gravity Massage Chair
- 3. Real Relax Full Body Zero Gravity Massage Chair
- 2. Ideal Massage Full Zero Gravity Massage Chair
- 1. BestMassage Full Body Shiatsu Massage Chair
10. Osaki OS-4000 Zero Gravity Executive Fully Body Massage Chair
The Osaki OS-4000 is one of the more expensive models but it is also quite advanced. It is a two stage zero gravity chair that was designed after models from NASA. Sounds like it is extremely advanced but this can also be a bit deceiving. It is just a great massage chair that will prove to be unreachable for some due to its high price tag.
- Premium PU leather covering for added comfort
- Six pre-set programs
- Wireless remote
- 2 stage zero-gravity positioning
- Takes multiple people and about two hours to assemble
In most cases, if a product takes a lot of time and effort to assemble should not be a major problem. However, in order to move the chair from one room to another, it needs to be disassembled which is why this is so important. The price tag is also a big minus but the fact that it has multiple pre-set programs and a wireless remote make it a compelling purchase.
9. Merax Massage Chair Recliner Chair with Air Massage System
Merax managed to make a rather decent massage chair for a low price. It is not very advanced but it works very well especially for the ones that experience back pain. It can help deal with back problems with the aid of its 8 massage points. The lumbar area gets great support and with the 25 air bags, the chair will prove to be extremely comfortable.
- Soft high-quality leather
- 25 air bags for better support
- 3 massage strength levels
- Position cannot be adjusted
- Massage is a bit too strong
The ones that have severe back problems might not like the chair. It may be a bit too rough and might not help all that much with back pain. It cannot be reclined which counts as a minus but the low price tag makes it a viable option. The model comes in 3 boxes and will need to be assembled. As a standard feature, the chair comes with 3 massage strength levels but it does not have built-in programs.
8. Kahuna Massage Chair
Kahuna massage chair is a premium product with a steeper price tag but with excellent results for the ones that experience back pain. The model is built using multiple air bags and offers the experience of zero gravity position. This makes it very comfortable and can significantly help with back pain. The model also includes a small remote and multiple built-in programs.
- Very soft cushioning and support for the back
- Multiple built-in programs
- 6 rollers to provide a full body massage
- Poorly designed remote
- A bit rough when changing massage programs while one is still ongoing
For the the most part this looks and feels like a premium chair. In most cases, it works like a charm but it does have a couple of issues. The remote is not that great as buttons need to be pressed really hard. Also, changing the massage program while a massage is ongoing can be quite rough. It is better to just end a massage then start a new one in order to avoid getting shaken a bit too hard.
7. iJoy Active 2.0″ Perfect Fit Massage Chair
The iJoy massage chair surely looks different from the rest of the massage chairs in our list but it is also one of the most affordable ones. It can blend in with the furniture inside the house since it is much more compact and does not look too bulky. It works fairly well and was designed to relieve tension in the upper part of the body. The model is covered in PU leather and feels quite soft but it is not perfect.
- Small, compact
- Blends in with the furniture inside a house
- High-quality PU leather
- The chair is quite small
- A bit too strong in terms of massage
Nobody wants a massage that feels a bit too rough for their back. It may make things even worse. The iJoy is a decent massage chair but at the highest speed setting, it can be a bit uncomfortable. The leather used is decent and feels soft while the design stands as a major plus. The price tag and the fact that is so compact makes it a viable pick but there are better options.
6. Kahuna Full-Body Zero Gravity Space Saving L-Track Kahuna Massage Chair
Kahuna full-body zero gravity massage chair offers great value for the money. It offers the same thing as much more expensive models and it does much more than just a back massage. According to the manufacturers, it is a full-body massage chair meaning that it can offer total relaxation and pain relief. What is most impressive is the fact that it comes with a 3-year warranty which is much more than what others are offering.
- Zero gravity experience
- Full-body massage
- Multiple built-in programs
- Premium build quality
- 3 years warranty
- Foot roller is not very comfortable
- Only 15 minutes programs
A lot of massage chairs have the option to set a timer or have built-in programs that last a bit longer. For some odd reason, Kahuna made the chair with programs of 15 minutes only. Also, the foot rollers are not that great. Still, the chair can offer a great massage for the back. The premium build quality and the price tag makes it worthy of at least giving it a look.
5. Human Touch WholeBody 7.1 Massage Chair
Human Touch massage chair is a bit different from what most people imagine. It is different in terms of design but it can still offer a full-body massage. The smaller form factor does not mean that it is not as good as a regular massage chair but the price tag surely makes it an attractive option. Its swivel base is a major plus and the built-in programs are good enough for pretty much everyone.
- Mid-range price but premium quality
- Multiple programs built-in including for pain and stress relief
- Lumbar heat modules that help reduce pain
- Swivel base
- Leg massage is not very comfortable
There is nothing much that can be said in terms of cons. The Human Touch massage chair is a good option. If there is one thing that can be improved is the leg part. The massage is not that great for the legs but on the back, it is an excellent pick. All the built-in programs serve a purpose and they work quite well. Also, having a swivel base is a major plus. Very few other chairs have such a feature.
4. BestMassage Full Body Zero Gravity Massage Chair
BestMassage managed to establish itself as one of the top brands, making some of the best massage chairs. They have several interesting models including their Shiatsu zero gravity massage chair. It has several interesting features that improve comfort and a very competitive price tag. The build quality is also not disappointing but there some small issues with it as well.
- Good build quality
- Zero gravity reclining function
- Heating for the back
- Intelligent massage programs
- Very difficult to assemble
- Quite heavy
The chair itself comes in multiple boxes. It needs to be assembled and that takes some time as it is quite challenging. Being such a heavy chair it will be difficult to move around and putting it in a different room means disassembling it and assembling it again. On the upside, the built-in programs are excellent especially for the ones with back problems. The heating features is a great plus while the reclining function ensures optimal relaxation.
3. Real Relax Full Body Zero Gravity Massage Chair
Real Relax massage chair looks fairly similar to the rest of the models on our list at least in terms of design. What sets it apart is the build quality and the price tag. It is somewhere in the mid-range in terms of pricing but feels like a premium massage chair. It has 8 massage points and excellent support for the lumbar area. It was designed for relaxation but it can also help with back pain.
- Premium build quality
- Affordable price tag
- 8 massage points
- Built-in heater for the seat
- Zero gravity chair
- Difficult to assemble
The chair comes with an instruction booklet on how to assemble it. It is fairly complicated and the manual will be needed. It is important to do things exactly as mentioned in the book. Also, some bolts need to be forced a bit. Once assembled, the chair should work like a charm. It can help with back pain, stress relief, and muscle relaxation.
2. Ideal Massage Full Zero Gravity Massage Chair
Ideal Massage offers one of the most advanced chairs on the market. It comes with a large remote that allows full control over the massage programs. All its built-in programs are great but the user can change them. Also, the chair offers massage programs ranging from 5 to 30 minutes. On top of all this, the price tag is not that high.
- Advanced remote
- Multiple programs ranging from 5 to 30 minutes
- Premium build quality
- Feet rollers are not very comfortable
While the chair is fairly big and can support larger people, the feet rollers are a bit closer to each other. Someone with thicker legs might not find it comfortable. The programs themselves are quite decent but the comfort the chair offers makes it a great pick for the ones that have back problems.
1. BestMassage Full Body Shiatsu Massage Chair
BestMassage full body Shiatsu massage chair is by far their best-selling product. It has been rated as a medical grade device for the benefits it offers. The chair is an excellent choice for the ones that have back problems, feel stressed or need some muscle relaxation. Its remote makes it very easy to use while the price tag places it in the affordable category.
- Soft leather construction
- 30 air bags and built-in heat system
- Adjustable rollers
- Difficult to assemble
The best massage chair suffers from the same problem as most other massage chairs. It is difficult to assemble. It can take a couple of hours to get it up and running. If it needs to be moved to another room it will not fit through the door and will need to be disassembled. As for the chair itself, it has a great heating system that helps the lumbar area and the massage programs can help with a wide range of issues.
What Massage Chair To Get?
There are multiple types of chairs available but none of them are directly advertised as being designed for back pain. In reality, all of them can help with back pain but they have other purposes as well. Depending on how expensive they are, they might have certain features or they might be missing some. Here is what to look for when searching for a massage chair:
- How long are the massage programs? Some chairs offer massage programs that can last anywhere between 5 to 30 minutes. Others might be limited to just 15. This is something that all manufacturers should clearly state.
- Is it a reclining chair? Not all massage chairs are recliners. This is not something determined by their price tag but by how they are designed.
- Are they difficult to assemble? Almost all massage chairs need to be assembled. Some areas are easier to put together while others can take a couple of hours and this can be important when trying to move a chair from one room to another. Manufacturers will not state how long it will take to get their product assembled but customer reviews can help with this type of information.
- Does it have a heating system? Heating can be important for back problems. It can help with the pain but it is not something mandatory which is why not all chairs have this.